Thursday, March 1, 2012

This has been a post

Time has flown. It seems like just a few weeks ago that I had walked off the plane and arrived at the Schleypen’s to begin my journey. And somehow it’s almost a month until it’s time for me to go back home. The irony of it all is that I am not so homesick anymore. Of course I miss home but I am content where I am. I’ve discovered that home isn’t just a place but a sense of belonging.
If anyone were to ask if it was all worth it, I would say without hesitation YES! I have learned and gained so much from this experience. One, my riding has improved. I feel more secure in the saddle and have a better understanding of dressage theory. I also have grown as a person living in another country by myself and seeing how other people live. I have a better understanding of how a different corner of the world works. I encourage anyone and everyone to live overseas at least once, no excuses. It doesn’t matter how old you are or how little time there is or how much money you have or how scary it is. Find a way. Get out there and live. Don’t stay too comfortable.

I have, for the most part, been doing the same old things. I ride some pretty awesome horses and as the weather warms I feel myself become lighter in my boots (figuratively and literally--less clothing to wear) and people and horses alike are smiling more. I love that feeling of spring fever. Its as if the world shakes the dust.
Weekend before last I got to participate in something called Carnival. In Germany, especially Düsseldorf and Köln, Carnival is a time where people dress up in weird costumes and go out to party. For the kids, there is a parade.
I went with my friend, Claudia, from the stable and some other people who ride from around the area. Some of the people I met told me they read my blog (Hi!), which was surprising! I saw in my stats that over 70 people read my last post! This blog was intended to keep a public journal of my life in Germany and it’s been great to see how many people read what I write. Anyway...
Of course, I had no costume. I could have gone out in regular clothing but in the spirit of Carnival, I was dressed in a short-skirted sailor dress. I probably looked hilarious, with my white as snow legs, scratches and bruises from getting beaten on by horses, and the front of the dress sagging where big boobs are supposed to be, but I didn’t care.
We set out into the night, off to a barn that was holding a Carnival party. It was somewhat big, and I was glad I was in costume because I would have looked weird if I wasn’t. Everyone was dressed up with a drink or two in hand. There were bees, pirates, hippies, whatever. You name it, it was there. Carnival has a special type of music that they were playing. Its in German very upbeat, and the lyrics are pointless. The music is purely for noise to dance to.
We got some drinks and danced a little bit but some people from our group soon got bored and so we moved to the skiihalle, where the party was packed full of sweaty, stinky, half-drunk bodies. We danced some but soon got tired and went home.
I slept at Claudia’s house and the next day I spent with them at the zoo. I hadn’t been a zoo in awhile, so it was a lot of fun. I felt like a kid all over again, seeing all of the different animals. We even stayed to see the dolphin show. :)
Last weekend was Winterfest, a party for the horseback riders around the area. I got to dress up and dance with friends, as well as meet people from the area. It was a lot of fun!
It’s been a good time here in Germany and I can’t wait until Jill comes (4 weeks)!

2 comments:

  1. Someone please share a photo of Ginger in the sailor dress!

    ReplyDelete