Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Ponies and Adventures

Monday the 6th marks one month I have been working at the new stable. It has been a nice improvement as far as work goes. I have been given a steady flow of 4 or 5 horses a day and Martin gives me a tip or two everyday.

One of Martin’s assistants had a broken foot but it is all healed up now, so last week she returned back to work and it has been easier getting all of the horses done.

The horses I usually ride are named Liechian, Laura, Devine, Emilio, and Sue.

Leichan is a 7 year old bay mare. She knows up to 3rd level and is a nice ride. She has taught me a lot about straightness because she likes to lean on her outside shoulder. Blackshire people--she looks a lot like Luccia. She left on Friday to her new home, however, so I won’t be riding her anymore.

Laura is a pretty 8 year old bay mare that is schooling 4th level movements. She is a jackhammer to sit because of her big gaits and long legs. I get a big abdominal workout whenever I ride her. She also left to her new owner’s so I won’t be riding her anymore, either.

Devine is a 5 year old chestnut mare that only knows 1st level. Her breeder told Martin that she thought Devine was only 3 so we were taking it easy on her by riding her lightly and lounging lots. But we get her papers and it turns out she is 5 years old. This explains why she is far behind in her training. She can be difficult to ride some days because she is heavy in the bridle and likes to go fast; my least favorite combination. She also sometimes decides that she would rather kick at my leg than yield to it. But I feel that she is getting better as I ride her more often and don’t take it so easy on her.

Emilio is a 10 year old bay gelding who knows 4th level. He has problems with his legs so I can’t ride him very hard. The girl who came back to work usually rides him now since he is an easy ride.

My favorite horse to ride is named Sue. She is a 7 year old mare whose sire is Sir Donnerhall. She’s kind of small for a warmblood but beautiful and black with no chrome.  She moves beautifully. Of course, every favorite horse of mine always has a weird thing about them. Her quirk is that she likes to passage. Every time I ask her to do something in the trot, she tries to do it in passage. She’s a blast to ride, though a bit on the crazy side.

Since a lot of the horses I have been regularly riding this past month are going, I will be curious to see what horses I will be able to ride next. I like the new place and I am happy that I changed. It’s been nice to have company, too, at home. The family I live with has been great. They are all such nice people and I can’t thank them enough for their kindness and hospitality.

I have recently gone on many different adventures. I have gone to two stallion shows and they’re interesting to watch. I have learned a lot about bloodlines and what to look for in a stallion. I think about what Dr. Deb Bennett looks for in a horse confirmation-wise and decide what I like and don’t like in a stallion. I find that I am very picky. I know no horse is perfect, but when it comes to breeding, horses need to be as close to perfect as possible.

I was going to help out at a show last weekend but unfortunately it was cancelled because the footing was as hard as concrete it was so cold. It has been colder here than in MN! In the mornings it is usually -8° C, which is about 17° F for you folks back home. It’s cold for this part of Germany. And I dislike it very much.

A shout out to a friend at home who broke her arm sliding off a horse because the girth was loose. Matana, I wish you a speedy recovery and am thinking of you every day.

I want to know who is reading my blog. So if you’d like, comment below with your name and maybe even tell me what I should do to improve my blog or ask me a question. Whatever you want. Even if I don’t know you, introduce yourself!

Well, that’s all I can think of for now. I know I have only been posting about once a month but it’s better than nothing. To tell the truth, I’m not much of a blog writer. I enjoy poetry, which I haven’t been able to do much of lately, either. Horses eat up my whole life.

Anyhow, ciao for now!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome, Ginger! You're doing great! Keep asking for advice from Martin; you just need to remind him that that's what you want in exchange for working for him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ginger - I went to high school with your Mom though we didn't really know each other then. Then one day I saw her at Just Foods and we reconnected. I'm reading your blog because I used to have horses and lived for all things horses. I don't have horses now or do much with them anymore so really enjoy reading about what you are doing. The fact that you are in Germany is very cool to me because I went to Germany when I was in high school and wanted to visit a big horse farm while I was there but didn't get to :( Anyway - I like what you are writing already. Keep it up!

    You may have written about this already but how did you get to go to Germany? Are you on a specific exchange sort of program? How long will you be there? And are you going to be working at several barns or just the two? Lots of questions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ginger,
    Love reading your blog. Too bad you don't like horses that are heavy in the bridle and go fast...one like that is waiting for you when you get back to Minnesota. - Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Myrna! I am in Germany to educate myself in the sport of Dressage because I wish to become a Dressage trainer when I become old enough. My biggest dream and goal--one I have had since I started riding horses--is one day to be in the Olympics. I am chasing that dream and so I came here to Germany, the capital of the Dressage world.
    At my barn in MN, we have a clinician from the Netherlands come and teach 2x a year. I asked him to find me a place in Germany to work and he did just that. I stayed at that place for 3 months and found that after that period of time I could not learn anymore there. They had run out of horses for me to ride. So I swtiched barns where all I pretty much do is ride horses. I am returning home sometime in April and I started in October.
    Hope that answers all of your questions! Please feel free to ask more--sometimes I feel that I don't make things all too clear when I write my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginger - thanks for answering my questions. It's so cool to have a dream and then be able to live it! Lots of people dream - so few DO. Brava for making your dream happen!

    Another question for you - how many horses are at the barn you are working at? It would also be interesting to know what the barn is like physically - ie: do they have outdoor and indoor arenas? do they have a lot of acreage?

    Looking forward to another blog entry!

    ReplyDelete